The Market for Economics and Finance PhDs

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review

3 Citations (Scopus)


This paper presents new information about the post-graduation activities of those with a PhD in economics and finance from an Australian university. Approximately 40 per cent have an academic job, while the other 60 per cent work elsewhere or engage in other activities. The analysis includes origin‒destination networks for both the academic and non-academic markets, the determinants of earnings and measures of overqualification and underemployment. The findings of the paper can provide guidance for those completing or contemplating PhD studies.
Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)163-191
Number of pages29
JournalAustralian Economic Review
Issue number2
Early online date17 Mar 2023
Publication statusPublished - Jun 2023


Dive into the research topics of 'The Market for Economics and Finance PhDs'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this