[Truncated] On the fifteenth of March, 1956, the State Housing Commission opened a large new apartment building in Subiaco, Western Australia. It was designed by the firm of architects Krantz and Sheldon, and was named Wandana. The project included a ten storey slab block, in red brick and concrete. Four years after this, a competition was conducted for the design of new headquarters for the Perth City Council. Council House was completed and opened to coincide with the 1962 Empire Games. 'The West Australian' newspaper published a photograph of the smiling architects, and later, 'The Architectural Review' published the building under its heading WORLD. As the steel frame of Council House rose, a competition began for the design of government offices on a site at the edge of King's Park, adjacent to the State Parliament. Howlett and Bailey, the architects of Council House entered and placed third. The commission was won by a team assembled from the Public Works Department; Gordon Finn, Edward Van Mens and Peter Maidment, who planned five slab blocks spread across a cleared site. The first of the series was built, and named Dumas House, being ceremoniously opened, in March of 1966, complete with public viewing deck on the roof. The Opening Book, published for the event, contains a curious image of Perth. A view through the full length glass of the office window, published in vivid colour: it shows two new apartment towers in front of a vast new sandplain, claimed from the bay; beyond, the new Narrows bridge, the new suburbs of South Perth stretching to the horizon. It is a new view; one which is shifted from that traditional Mount Eliza prospect, framed by trees, the city at a safe distance.
|Publication status||Unpublished - 1993|