Phosphine gas poisoning

DANIEL M. FATOVICH, ROBERT H. GRAYDON, DAVID A. PRENTICE, RONALD L. HIRSCH

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

2 Citations (Scopus)

Abstract

Phostoxin is a fumigant used in rural areas. We report a case of phostoxin ingestion which resulted in the release of lethal phosphine gas. The patient developed a profound metabolic acidosis and cardiovascular depression and died. During treatment and after death, he continued to emit the noxious gas which was dangerous to staff, and resulted in evacuation of the emergency department. Such events tend to be associated with myth and hysteria and the lack of ready access to reliable information. They represent a unique challenge to the emergency physician. 1992 Australasian College for Emergency Medicine and Australasian Society for Emergency Medicine

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)143-145
Number of pages3
JournalEmergency Medicine
Volume4
Issue number3
DOIs
Publication statusPublished - 1 Jan 1992
Externally publishedYes

Fingerprint Dive into the research topics of 'Phosphine gas poisoning'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this