Knowledge translation in Western Australia tertiary paediatric emergency department: An audit cycle of effectiveness of guideline dissemination on bronchiolitis management

Yee Lymn Yeo, Sharon O'Brien, Natasha Bear, Meredith L. Borland

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

Abstract

Aim: Bronchiolitis is the commonest cause of hospitalisation for infants. Evidence-based Australasian bronchiolitis guideline was developed and introduced in 2017. This audit was to determine if the knowledge translation process of the updated local tertiary hospital bronchiolitis guideline (based on the Australasian guideline) reduced unnecessary interventions. Methods: A retrospective chart review of infants with bronchiolitis diagnosis during the pre-guideline (1 July to 31 August 2015) and post-guideline (1 July to 31 August 2017) period, with the primary outcome of the number/proportion of unnecessary interventions. Results: Presentations between 1 July to 31 August 2015 (n = 465) were compared with 2017 (n = 343). There was no difference in undertaking chest X-ray (24 (5.2%) vs. 17 (5.0%), odds ratio (OR) 0.98 (95% confidence interval (CI) 0.71–1.35), P = 0.911), salbutamol (23 (4.9%) vs. 10 (2.9%), OR 0.86 (95% CI 0.65–1.13), P = 0.279), glucocorticoids (2 (0.4%) vs. 5 (1.5%), OR 1.89 (95% CI 0.83–4.31), p = 0.129), antibiotics (11 (2.4%) vs. 5 (1.5%), OR 0.86 (95% CI 0.65–1.15), P = 0.307) or nasopharyngeal aspirate (172 (37%) vs. 124 (36.2%), OR 1.00 (95% CI 0.87–1.67), P = 0.937) in hospital. Adrenaline was not administered in both years. There was reduced hospital admissions (303 (65.2%) vs. 192 (56.0%), OR 0.82 (95% CI 0.71–0.95), P = 0.008) with no difference in paediatric intensive care unit admissions (10 (2.2%) vs. 8 (2.3%), OR 1.04 (95% CI 0.65–1.67), P = 0.863). Conclusion: The dissemination process of the updated local hospital bronchiolitis guideline did not show any statistically significant reduction of unnecessary interventions in the hospital. Further studies are required to determine the effective process to instigate changes in health services.

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)1358-1364
Number of pages7
JournalJournal of Paediatrics and Child Health
Volume56
Issue number9
DOIs
Publication statusPublished - 1 Sep 2020

Fingerprint Dive into the research topics of 'Knowledge translation in Western Australia tertiary paediatric emergency department: An audit cycle of effectiveness of guideline dissemination on bronchiolitis management'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this