Examination of factors associated with the temporal stability assessment of crash severity by using generalised linear model-A case study

Abdulaziz H. Alshehri, Amjad Pervez, Muhammad Hussain, Danish Farooq, Etikaf Hussain

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review

Abstract

Road crashes are a major public safety concern in Pakistan. Prior studies in Pakistan investigated the impact of different factors on road crashes but did not consider the temporal stability of crash data. This means that the recommendations based on these studies are not fully effective, as the impact of certain factors may change over time. To address this gap in the literature, this study aims to identify the factors contributing to crash severity in road crashes and examine how their impact varies over time. In this comprehensive study, we utilized Generalised Linear Model (GLM) on the crash data between the years 2013 to 2017, encompassing a total sample of 802 road crashes occurred on the N-5 road section in Pakistan, a 429-kilometer stretch connecting two big cities of Pakistan, i.e., Peshawar and Lahore. The purpose of the GLM was to quantify the temporal stability of the factors contributing crash severity in each year from 2013 to 2017. Within this dataset, 60% (n = 471) were fatal crashes, while the remaining 40% (n = 321) were non-fatal. The results revealed that the factors including the day of the week, the location of the crashes, weather conditions, causes of the crashes, and the types of vehicles involved, exhibited the temporal instability over time. In summary, our study provides in-depth insights aimed at reducing crash severity and potentially aiding in the development of effective crash mitigation policies in Pakistan and other nations having similar road safety problems. This research holds great promise in exploring the dynamic safety implications of emerging transportation technologies, particularly in the context of the widespread adoption of connected and autonomous vehicles.

Original languageEnglish
Article numbere0299094
Number of pages18
JournalPLoS One
Volume19
Issue number4
DOIs
Publication statusPublished - 19 Apr 2024

Fingerprint

Dive into the research topics of 'Examination of factors associated with the temporal stability assessment of crash severity by using generalised linear model-A case study'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this