Present Position(s): Lecturer, UWA School ofSport Science, Exercise & Health
I have held the position of Associate Lecturer/Lecturer at UWA since 1989. I have an education background, having trained and taught as a secondary teacher of PE, Health, History and Science. Since my appointment at UWA, I have developed into the PE pedagogist in a School that trains up to 45 PE & Health teachers every year.
I now coordinate and lecture in a variety of units, work with a team providing the pedagogical emphasis within the School of Sport Science,Exercise & Health and have roles on committees within and outside of the University, on the pedagogical and activity wellbeing of adolescents. In my time at UWA, I estimate I have trained over 800 teachers.
I am been the chair of the Curriculum Council of Western Australia’s PE syllabus committee, a board member of the Western Australian branch of ACHPER (The Australian Council for Health, Physical Education and Recreation) which is the peak body for professionals in the area, and the Schools representative on the Children’s Physical Activity Coalition which has a direct advisory role to the Premiers’ Activity Taskforce,
I am currently the Chair of the School's Teaching and Learning committee
TEACHING FOCUS: Teacher Education.
Health & PE in the curriculum.
Sports Based Practical units & Recreation
Strength & Conditioning.
SSEH 1101 Tennis
SSEH 3337/8 Practical basis of PE
PE 8764/474 PE In the Curriculum
teaching Prac supervision.
Dip. Ed. course adviser
Undergraduate advisor semester 1 2013
Student confidence levels and experience within Post Graduate study
Education Department of Victoria.
Secondary Physical & Health Education teacher.
Professional Reference Groups and Committees
• Curriculum Council Syllabus Committee :1990-Present. Chair 2000, 2005, 2006
• ACHPER WA board Member: 2000-Present
• Children's Physical Activity Coalition: 1999-Present
• Department of Education & Training (DET) Outcomes Based Education. Planning process: 1990-2000 implementation
• Curriculum council: Physical Education syllabus review committee.
• DET Professional Development in Physical Education Reference Group
• DET Physical Steps Reference Group
• DET Student Outcome Statement Trial Group.
• DET ‘Train the Trainer’ Reference Group
• DET Post Compulsory Review course of study, reference group.
• Review of Physical Education (House report), 1994
• ACHPER West, Healthy Active Lifestyle Awards (HALA) judging panel
• UWA FLAPS, Outcome Based Education, Reference Group
Unit Coordination: SSEH1102 (tennis), 8464/474 Dip ed, 3337/8
Unit contribution: SSEH1103, 2296, 3387, 8491/492,2260
Course advisor 1 Level, Grad Dip ed
The Assessment and reporting in Schools project. A survey of teachers of Year 8-10 Health and Physical Education.
Registered provider Australian Sports Commission, ‘After School Physical Activity Project’.
UWA After-School Activity Program. Delivering and assessing a theoretical model of delivering a quality program by trained PE staff to inactive children.
Student perception of well being: weekly review process