Allan Trench is a mineral economist, geophysicist and business management consultant.
Allan holds a BSc (Hons) Geology from the Royal School of Mines, London, a Ph.D (Geophysics) from Glasgow University, an MBA (Distinction) from Oxford University and an MSc (Distinction) in Mineral Economics from the WA School of Mines (WASM).
Prior to moving to Australia in 1991 on a Royal Society Visiting Postdoctoral Fellowship, Allan was a Natural Environment Research Council Research Fellow in Geophysics at Oxford University.
Industry roles have included management of nickel and gold/base metal exploration teams in the Yilgarn region of WA, initially for WMC (1992-1997)and subsequently for a group of junior ASX listed companies (1997-2001).
From 2001-2003 Dr Trench worked as a business consultant for McKinsey and Company, then as a manager at KCGM Pty Ltd (the Kalgoorlie Super Pit 2003-4; a Joint Venture of Newmont Mining and Barrick Gold) and Woodside Petroleum (2004-2006), and subsequently as a consultant with CRU Group (since 2007), providing business analysis and intelligence on the global mining and metals and markets.
From 2011-2015, Allan was Professor of Mineral & Energy Economics at the Curtin Graduate School of Business, Curtin Business School.
He is currently MBA Director and Professor of Practice at UWA Business School and also Research Professor, Progressive Risk & Value, Centre for Exploration Targeting, University of Western Australia (75% FTE).
Allan serves as a non-executive independent director of a number of emerging overseas and Australian-listed resources companies.
Professor Allan Trench 2013, 'Evaluating the Attractiveness of Fiscal Regimes for New Gold Developments: African & South American Peer Country Comparisons ', International Mining for Development Centre ex AusAID
Professor, Mineral & Energy Economics, Curtin Graduate School of Business, Curtin Business School (2011-2015)
Consultant - McKinsey & Company (2001-2003)
Associate Professor of Mineral Economics at the WA School of Mines, Curtin University of Technology leading Masters short courses in finance, strategic management, operations management, microeconomics and project management (1999-2001)
Royal Society of London Overseas Research Fellow in Geophysics at the University of Western Australia (1991-1992)
NERC Research Fellow in Geophysics at the Department of Earth Sciences, Oxford University (1989-91). Natural Environment Research Council Fellowship. Member of Wolfson College, Oxford.
Chairman - Acadian Mining Corporation (2009-2013)
Chairman - Venturex Resources (2008-2011)
Chairman - Navigator Resources (2008-2013)
Director - Trafford Resources (2010-2014)
Director - Anova Metals (previously Kimberley Rare Earths - 2011-2013)
- Scenarios for the Future of Global Copper Mine Supply (PhD research supervision, John P. Sykes)
- The microeconomics of the Periodic Table: Lithium (3) to Uranium (92)
- Progressive risk and value along the mining value chain; The concept of 'Convex' and 'Concave' commodities
- Geological controls on the operating cost structure of Australian gold mines (PhD research supervision - Sam Ulrich)
Allan delivers short-course executive education via the Centre for Exploration Targeting on aspects of mineral economics, mineral sector strategy, resources sector management and exploration management best practices. Courses are held in Perth, inter-state or internationally. Course content has relevance for both Australian and international audiences. International participants from both industry and from government at recent courses led by Allan have included delegates from the following countries:
.Democratic Republic of Congo
.Papua New Guinea
- Strategic Management of Resources Companies
- Mineral Economics for Geologists - CET
- Strategic Analysis and Consulting (forthcoming)
- Business Advisory Project - UWA MBA
- Resource Sector Management - Curtin MSC/MBA
- Financial Analysis & Mineral Economics - UNSW
- Exploration Management & Decision-Making - KIGAM (South Korea)
- Contributor to “The Business of Mining” MOOC (Massive Open Online Course) – Curtin University of Technology. https://www.edx.org/course/business-mining-curtinx-tbomx
- Mineral Economics
- Mineral Sector Strategy
- Boardroom Practices and Governance
- Effective Exploration Management
- The Economics of Australia's gold sector